HOW TO DRIVE IN PHOENIX , ARIZONA
1. "Phoenix" actually consists of Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Glendale, Peoria, Tolleson, Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Sun City, Sun City West, Sun Lakes, Surprise, and half of the Mexican border
.2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 9:00 PM. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.
3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 85 mph. On Loop 101, your speed is expected to match the highway number. Anything less is considered "Wussy".
4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Phoenix has its own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest mufflers go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, in the East Valley , SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.
5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended.
6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's an offense that can get you shot.
7. Road construction is permanent in Phoenix . Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting.
8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, rabbits, vultures, javelinas, roadrunners, and the coyotes feeding on any of these items.
9. Maricopa Freeway, Papago Freeway and the "I-10" are the same road. SR202 is the same road as The Red Mountain FWY. Dunlap and Olive are the same street too. Jefferson becomes Washington , but they are not the same street. I-17 is also called The Black Canyon Freeway as well as The Veterans Memorial Highway. The SR51 has recently been renamed to Piestewa Freeway because Squaw Peak Parkway was too easy to pronounce. SR101 is also the Pima FWY except west of I-17, which is also The Black Canyon FWY, and The Veterans Memorial HWY. Lastly, Thunderbird Rd. Becomes Cactus Rd. -- but, Cactus Rd. Doesn't become Thunderbird Rd. Because it dead ends at a mountain.
10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated."
11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 70 in a 55-65 mph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be "flipped off" accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.
12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.
13. Please note that there are many, MANY more issues to the phenomenon of driving in Phoenix -- like the 4-cars-through-a-red-light rule -- but these will at least get you acquainted with our unique life on the road.
Monday, July 28, 2008
I have been trying to work on a mini mint tin album, for a few weeks and I finally had the chance, I did get the template online http://blogscrapgirls.blogspot.com/2007/08/mint-tin-mania.html which helped a lot. I am just finishing the outside of the tin today, but it did take me a little longer then I thought it would, I had to first decide on pictures, then I had to decide what colors to use and what kit to use, but I think the final results came back great, not sure what my boys will think but that is there problem.